Thursday, July 07, 2005

 

A meme

a meme? I've never bothered with meme's before, and I guess I never really saw the point of them. But I came across this one (the one that will be soon to follow) at The Hanging Stranger and, although I was not one of the people he invited to participate, I decided to invite myself. Nothing wrong with that...doesn't make me a loser.

nope, not a loser.

Anyway, the way it works is as follows:

I answer the following questions, and then you read them and are so inspired by the answers that you go on to lead a better and fuller life. Maybe you become a Tibetan monk...maybe not. Either way, it's an easy entry for me and frees up time for me to pursue my other interests (let's just say it involves farming sea monkeys and leave it at that).

The Meme

1. How many books do you own?

I don't know the exact answer to this (who does?), but I have about 2 bookshelves worth, which puts me at somewhere around...300? Something like that. Of course, the number of books out of those that I've actually read? Um, well, its not 300, I'm sure of that.

2. What is the last book you bought

I must claim ignorance on this one. I recently inherited a ton of books and I always get several books for Christmas/birthdays, so I haven't had to buy a book (for myself) in a very long time. I do know the next book that I'm going to buy, and it comes out on July 16th.

3. What is the last book you read

I just finished the excellent Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Clay and it was brilliant. It was full deserving of a prize and I suppose the Pulitzer will do. You know, it seems every book I read these days is about Jews in Brooklyn in the 40's. First it was The Plot against America (fantastic book, btw) and then The Chosen (also awesome) and now this book. I don't have a problem with this, mind you, as it always makes for a great story.

4. List Five books that meant a lot to you and why
  1. This one's easy. It's a tie between Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead. These books have, by far, influenced my life and view of the world more than any other books I've read. Plus, they are just great books in general. Hmmm...I think it is getting to be about time for a re-read.
  2. Infinite Jest, David Foster Wallace - Certainly the most...unique book I've ever read. It simultaneously maintains an incredibly intricate plot while at the same time keeping the plot completely in the background and dealing almost entirely with the characters. You can do this when you have 1100 pages to work with.
  3. Lamb:The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal - Too damn funny for words. I try to use Christopher Moore as inspiration for my writing...and generally fall far short. I've got a long ways to go before I even stratch the surface of being half as funny at Moore is in this book....a long, long ways
  4. Most any book/compilation by Dave Barry
    • News happens, comment on it, and take nothing seriously. Sounds like a formula for success
  5. and finally, pick a Vonnegut book, because I can't. I love them all. Cat's Cradle, Slaughter House 5, Hocus Pocus? They are all my favorites plus many, many more. He is a freakin' genius
Alright, that's all I have to offer today. If you like the meme, take a shot at it on your own site. If you don't like it...okay.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?