Thursday, July 14, 2005

 

Raging against the wind

(Don't worry, this is a baseball post)

Running into the wind sucks. It's even worse than running up hills; because when you run up a hill, you inevitably will get to run back down a hill to balance things out. Running into the wind is like running up a 5 mile hill. It makes my knees ache and is pretty tiring.

But what are you going to do? Chicago is always windy, especially by the lakefront (where I always run). That wind comes whipping off the lake and some fraction of it is almost always in my face for at least half the run (by some miracle, it often manages to blow in my face for both halves of my run, despite my running in opposite directions). I guess that's why the call Chicago "the City of Big Shoulders."

...

"Windy City." That should have been "Windy City."

Anyway, blah blah blah wind. The point of this is, the wind is going to be there no matter what I do, so there is no point in getting all upset about it. And I think the same thing can be applied to the second half of the Cubs' season.

Most of us don't like Dusty very much, but he's not going anywhere. And actually, one should hope that he sticks around this year, because otherwise that means the Cubs are losing. There is no point in constantly screaming in impotent fury at Dusty's moronic moves; Dusty is Dusty and he is unlikely to change. Also, there is no point in crying about the numberous injuries the Cubs have suffered through. Injuries are going to happen and such is life. Better to just roll with the punches than...um, not roll with the punches.

The Cubs are what they are and no amount of bitching on the internet is going to change that. It is just raging against the storm, and unless you are Poseidon, this has little effect.

Now that I've said that, here's the reality. If people didn't bitch uselessly about the things that displease them, then the blogging world wouldn't exist. And then this post would never make it to the internet. So if people followed my post's advice, then my post would never exist. Whoa. I'm freaking myself out.

Whatever. So I guess the moral is: Go ahead and rage against the wind if you want, but don't if you don't want to. Anything goes. And the squeaky wheel gets the grease. And a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

And a stitch in time saves nine.

I could go on.

But I won't.

seeing as how this was a running related post...

Current Marathon Training Status: in two parts:
I have new shoes, though, and they're way more bouncy than my old ones! This is good, as I was starting to get achey legs. Thank god for Aleve.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?